Nursery, twins and 30 week update

It's been a while since I last updated about how things are going with the twins so I wanted to take advantage today to share both that and our progress with their nursery. First of all, as of now I am in the 30th week of pregnancy. Word from my doctor is that these twins will most likely arrive (probably will be planned) between week 37 and 38, so really not that much longer to go. This is both exciting and terrifying. 

We have been going to the doctor every two weeks to track how the girls are growing and we went yesterday for what will end up being one of our last appointments because things looked so good we won't be back for 5 weeks. Which puts us almost at the end...unless of course I go into labor or have some other kind of emergency before (which I am hoping won't happen). Yesterday Vera (who has always been a bit bigger) weighed in at 1.6 kilos which is about 3.5 lbs. Laura is more petite and weighs 1.3 kilos or about 3 lbs. They are both good sized babies for being twins and my doctor was surprised that they continue to grow as if they were singletons (usually twins are smaller). Besides their weight he checked their heartbeats and all the other regular stuff, all looked good and since I have no issues (no high blood pressure, no gestational diabetes, no contractions) things are looking good.

Obviously as time goes on I am more and more uncomfortable. I have the same problems as most pregnant women in their last trimester, maybe just a little bit earlier and for a little bit longer since there is more baby in my belly. Heartburn, not sleeping, aching back, not being able to pick things up off the floor, being hungry all the time, feet hurt, stretch marks, you have probably heard it all. I am thankful that I am able to rest a lot and that Jose is really helpful (he cut my toe nails last night for example). But really all in all, so far, so good which is a blessing.

Besides growing these babies, I (more like Jose) have been getting their nursery ready. My apartment has three bedrooms, the master and two smaller rooms. One we had set up nicely for guests who came to visit and the other we called Cooper's room since it had a bed and not much else and was where Cooper stayed when we were out of the apartment. We have moved the guest room furniture into Cooper's room to make it into the nursery.

At the left you can see the before picture of what is now our nursery. We painted the walls a mint green color over our Christmas break and have since added a crib, changing table/dresser which I got second hand and added contact paper to jazz it up, curtains and shelves. We also put together the babies' stroller so we can practice folding it.


Here is the new guest room which is across the hall from the nursery. We moved the bed in there and added a giant wardrobe from IKEA. Usually Jose and I will assemble furniture together (and fight) but this time I talked him into paying for them to come and do it. It was well worth it since the two guys were here most of the morning putting the wardrobe together. Since I am not much help with lifting or in general moving I can only imagine the stress that would have been trying to put together a giant IKEA piece. It is nice to have more storage.


New wardrobe in guest room
And now for your viewing pleasure here are some pictures of the nursery thus far. We don't really have a theme, maybe travel but the main colors are white, dark blue and light green. We are still waiting on a big map we are having framed for one wall and to put some finishing touches but more or less things have come together.


Here you have our crib. We are going to start with only one and eventually add another. It has been recommended to us that the girls sleep together in the beginning since lots of times twins are so used to being close to one another that they will sleep better knowing the other is near. The other crib will form an L shape in front of this one in the empty space.


Our double stroller which is just hanging out for now in the nursery. We chose this one because it is light weight, fold easily, is easy to turn and can be converted into a stroller for one if need be. When the girls are bigger we will trade out the bassinets for seats. I also like that the girls can either face towards me or away from me and that this stroller was side by side. I don't much like double strollers where one baby goes in front of the other.


Another angle of where our crib is. Here you can see better how the other one will fit in the space. Plus we added shelves above them. This was an incredible hassle but I think in the end it looks nice.


You can see that we left the small wardrobe that was in this room before in its place. Our wall decorations are a plate we bought on a trip to Morocco and a gift of framed US stamps that was given to us as a wedding present.


It is hard to get a good shot of this corner of the room because the window lets in so much light. You can see that we have the curtains up (the same fabric is being added to the crib skirt as a border thanks to my mother-in-law). We also have some shelves for books and toys as well as the changing table which still needs a new cover.


This is the last corner of the room where the door is. It is quite boring but to give you an idea of how the nursery is set up I wanted to post it. The framed map will go over the changing table when it is finished. It is pretty big and will take up most of the wall. So as you can see, we have things mostly finished. We now just need to organize and clean. I am having a small baby shower this weekend which I am excited about so I will post about that soon. Keep your fingers crossed for us that things continue to go well!

Comments

  1. Continued good health and best wishes to all of you, Allie and family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and I am thrilled to hear that you are all hanging in there! Can't wait to hear that they have arrived in great shape! The nursery looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names