Cadiz, cats y "canis"

Today Jose, Megan and I went and spent the day in Cadiz because (surprise surprise) Spain has a holiday and people had the day off. We arrived midmorning and wandered around the city, visiting the museum (interesting because Cadiz might be the oldest city in Europe), the cathedral (because this is Spain of course) as well as the Torre de Tavira (an old watchtower where you get great views of the city as well as the opportunity to see it through a camera obscura which reflects realtime images from a lens onto a mirror onto a disk, or at least that is what I understood of the mechanics as explained by the not-so-enthused guide). We had a seafood lunch and then wandered down to the beach. I am somewhat sad to say that one of my favorite parts of the day was seeing all of the wild cats who live down on the breakers next to the water. I really wanted to lure one close enough to steal it but of course, Jose was the voice of reason. Instead I contented myself with playing a sort of "Where's Waldo" (my dad's favorite bedtime story for us when we were little) with the cats. Without a striped shirt some of them were hard to find. All in all, I liked Cadiz and I am sure it is even better when you can go to the beach to swim and sunbathe. Alas, it appears as if that weather has finally left for the season. Damn.
On the way home from Cadiz, we passed by bad part of Sevilla and the idea of the "cani" came up. For those who are unfamiliar with what a "cani" is, allow me to explain: imagine a trashy wigger type with a bad haircut and an attitude to go allow with. They dress in baggy and loud colored clothing. They wear a lot of "gold" and they like to listen to their music on blast on their cellphone so everyone can hear. They come from sketchy neighborhoods and travel in groups partaking in delinquency. I like to think of them as our equivalent to trailer trash (complete with white eyeliner and long stringy pony-tails on the girls who are inevitably rocking a tight, short tank top that  really highlights their very classy tattoos). It's like if Eminem had a Spanish cousin who couldn't rap and was a douche. Really fascinating. If you are curious about this phenomena, I recommend googling cani in images to get a better idea. Back to work tomorrow...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La mesa camilla

Simple Spanish recipe: Chipirones a la plancha

Spanish names